16 Jan 2013

This is not the Post Office


Because I’ll literally jumping out my skin I’m so excited to go to Madam Zingara Theater of Dreams this month (you just have to check out this website) I thought I’d do a bit of a prelude and share our adventure to This is not the Post Office.



A while back we went through to Cape Town on a complete different adventure which landed up not happening so we took the opportunity to do a little exploring and ventured up Kloof Street. The main reason was to find the Bombay Bicycle club (this strangely enough is also part of Madam Zingaras group) which I'd heard about a few times and was rather curious. It's hard to miss with their massive Jollywood sign on the roof and the car balancing next to it. When we got there they told us their kitchen wasn’t open yet –really disappointing because the menu looked delicious. In hind-sight it was probably a good thing ,because the décor is so crazy I don’t know if I would have been able to keep my eyes on my plate. One of the tables even has swings suspended from the ceiling instead of chairs. The theme seems to change like Cape Towns weather so there's always something new happening.



After we left the Bicycle club we wondered down the road to the giant post box we saw on the way up to investigate further. This is not the Post office is one of the most exciting places you’ll ever stumble upon. I can only describe it as an Alice in Wonderland meets Nania meets Harry Potters under the staircase  room meets some wonderful magical carpet ride. It’s a hoarders dream with nik-naks and sparkly things from floor to ceiling and like Mary Poppins carpet bag it just keeps on going the more you look around.


This is not the Post Office is open mondays to fridays from 10:30 till 6pm 
Saturdays from 10:30 till 5 and sundays from 11 till 4pm
you can find it at the top of Kloof street (number 114)
or you can phone them on 021 423 7817 if you get lost









No comments:

Post a Comment